Sexually transmitted diseases in the USA: temporal trends
- 1National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- 2University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
- Correspondence to: Dr Sevgi O Aral Division of Sexually Transmitted Disease, National Centers for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Mailstop E02, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA;
- Accepted 18 June 2007
This paper reviews the temporal trends in sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and discusses the factors affecting the epidemiology of bacterial STDs.
- GISP, Gonococcal Isolate Surveillance Project
- HPV, human papillomavirus
- HSV, herpes simplex virus
- MSM, men who have sex with men
- STD, sexually transmitted disease
Competing interests: None.
This paper has been abstracted from Aral SO and Holmes KK.2